FORUM EKSTREMALNE

Piesze i rowerowe maratony na orientację
Teraz jest N, 15 gru 2019, 16:40

Wszystkie czasy w strefie UTC + 1

Stwórz nowy temat Odpowiedz w temacie  [ Posty: 1 ] 
Autor Wiadomość
 Temat: thopoulos said the
PostNapisane: Pt, 15 lis 2019, 04:30 

Each week, The Reporters put their thumbs out to the good and the bad in the world of sports. This week they discuss the decision to stop the NFL concussion settlement, the medias indifference to a big boxing match in Montreal, the maturity of Anthony Bennett and NHL outdoor games. Bruce Arthur, National Post: My thumb is up to U.S. federal judge Anita Brody, who this week halted the NFLs concussion settlement with former players. Judge Brody was concerned that with fixed dollar awards for specific ailments for ex-NFL players - a ghoulish list that specifies, for example, up to $3.5 million for Alzheimers, or up to $5 million for ALS - and a $765 million cap on the settlement fund, the money could run out, since its designed to cover 20,000 men over 65 years. Yes, there are ex-players who need help right now, and this could hurt them. But given the seriousness of the settlement, its potential ramifications, and what we still have to learn about what football does to peoples brains, it seems like the least you can do is to double-check the math. Steve Simmons, Sun Media: My thumb is down to us - those of us in mainstream sports media in English Canada - who have ignored the rich and electric Quebec boxing scene. Saturday night, at a sold out Bell Centre, two former world champions, adopted Montrealers Jean Pascal and Lucien Bute, boxed a 12-rounder that most of us outside Quebec and the United States didnt pay any attention to. "This is the Super Bowl of boxing in Canada," said Pascal, the winner, but what he should have said is: this is the Super Bowl of boxing in French Canada. The bout was available live on HBO in the U.S. but not offered live and free across Canada. And not covered by anyone in Canada outside Quebec. We failed here on a major event: when it comes to boxing in Quebec, we always fail. Michael Farber, Sports Illustrated: My thumb is up to Anthony Bennett for uncommon maturity. The surprising first pick in the NBA Draft says he will not object if the Cavaliers send him to the Development League to straighten out his game. Certainly some tidying up is in order. In about 10 minutes a night, the 20-year-old Torontonian has averaged two and a half points and shot a miserable 27 per cent. This is the worst start for a No. 1 overall selection since… well, ever. Most top picks would resist a demotion. Laudably Bennett, who has had his 6-8 frame parked on the bench, has parked his ego at the door. Dave Hodge, TSN: I will need both of my thumbs -- one is up to the NHL for the obvious success of the outdoor games, another of which we can talk about here next week as the Ducks and the Kings play on Saturday at Dodger Stadium. Thatll be followed by the Rangers and Devils at Yankee Stadium next Sunday. And all the hockey fans in the stands at two of baseballs most famous stadiums will be having a great time at a hockey "event". Not so much the TV watchers. So let me say "thumbs down", to the viewing experience at home. The New Years Day game in Detroit could be measured this way, I think -- the fans in Ann Arbor were as excited as the fans at home were bored for much of the time. The excitement level will be the same at the LA and NY "events". The boredom level is liable to increase for the rest of us, because to expect what could be called a good hockey game is to expect too much. Air Max 270 Mens Clearance . Solomon Elimimian did not make the trip with the team after suffering what appeared to be a right leg injury in the teams regular season finale against the Calgary Stampeders. Cheap Nike Air Max 270 China . Every once in awhile, it seems like life lets dreams become real - and that is a gift. http://www.max270cheap.com/nike-men-s-a ... 1-301.html . She was a pioneer. She did things on skis that made the birds take notice. Air Max 270 Black And White Cheap . Ribery, who won UEFAs best player in Europe award for the 2012-13 season, helped Bayern Munich win the Champions League and Bundesliga and German Cup titles. Messi, winner of the last four Ballon dOr awards in voting by coaches, team captains and media, was injured late in the season and could not prevent Barcelona from being beaten by Bayern in the Champions League semifinals. Nike Air Max 270 Triple White Womens . The young man, never lacking confidence, thought he could be really good.VANCOUVER -- Alex Anthopoulos was a busy man last off-season. The Toronto Blue Jays general manager made a series of bold moves that reshaped the club ahead of what would turn out to be a disastrous 2013 campaign. The lead-up to the 2014 season has been relatively quiet in comparison, with the Blue Jays biggest splash coming when they cut ties with catcher J.P Arencibia and replaced him with free-agent Dioner Navarro. While that deal wasnt not on the same level as the headline-grabbing acquisitions of Jose Reyes, Mark Buehrle and R.A. Dickey, Anthopoulos says he wont be adding any pieces through trade or free agency unless it fits into the teams model. "We made a lot of big moves early last off-season. It wasnt by design, it just worked out that way," Anthopoulos said Friday. "Weve had a lot of dialogue. Theres still a lot of players out there, just havent been able to line up with respect to a price, whether its trade or free-agent cost. "We do have the ability on some trade fronts to just say Yes. We know what the asking prices are -- just not willing to pay that price. From a free-agent standpoint ... we have been given a price and we just dont necessarily see the value right now." The starting rotation continues to be a point of emphasis after a miserable 2013 that saw Toronto finish last in the American League East after starting the season as World Series favourites. Free agent starters Ervin Santana or Ubaldo Jimenez are still on the open market, but Anthopoulos said theres a chance that the rotation could be filled out from within. "We have a lot of candidates and a lot of options. Someone like Brandon Morrow coming back (from injury) is a huge boost for us, some of our young kids that are coming back are certainly going help," he said. "We still have dialogue and try to upgrade but we do have some upside to some of the guys that are coming back." Anthopoulos, who was in town for a luncheon with the single-A Vancouver Canadians, also touched on the New York Yankees signing of Japanese starter Masahiro Tanaka earlier this week. The 25-year-old right-hander inked a seven-year deal worth $155 million dollars with Torontos AL East rivals that also includes a $20-millionn dollar payment to his club team.dddddddddddd The Blue Jays, who have an internal policy of not signing player contracts longer than five years, were rumoured to be in the running for Tanakas services early on in the process. "Obviously hes a great starter and there was a lot speculation on where the dollars would go just based on the previous two Japanese starters (Daisuke Matsuzaka and Yu Darvish)," said Anthopoulos. "I think it was expected that he would go north of (their price tags) -- $175 million, I dont know if anybody predicted that. "Hes very talented and the Yankees certainly got better." Anthopoulos said the Blue Jays use the five-year limit on contracts as "a guideline" but tend to shy away from longer-term deals because they offer clubs very little wiggle room. "Weve held firm on our five-year policy in terms of contracts. When free agents are signing for seven, eight years, then normally thats where we tap out," he said. "We definitely have the resources financially in terms of annual value and salaries and things like that. I think weve proven that with some of the players we have acquired. But just the length of term -- very rarely do those seven-, eight-year deals work out." Anthopoulos and manager John Gibbons will be feeling the heat if the Blue Jays stumble out of the gate as the they did in 2013. Fans flocked to Rogers Centre with dreams of a return to the teams glory years of the early 1990s that included two World Series titles, but were instead bitterly disappointed with the product on the field. With pitchers and catchers set to report for spring training on Feb. 17, a repeat in 2014 surely wont fly. "Youre always anxious to try to improve the club and to add to it, but you dont necessarily have to guard against it when you know theres a deal that just doesnt make any sense," said Anthopoulos. "We just dont want to force a deal and do it for the sake of doing it. "We want to make moves that we think are going to help the club. If we have to go more years and dollars than we believe in, people might get excited now but a few months into it we may be regretting that deal and be hamstrung with a contract that we dont want." ' ' '

Stwórz nowy temat Odpowiedz w temacie  [ Posty: 1 ] 

Wszystkie czasy w strefie UTC + 1